The Coat of Arms

The New Coat of Arms

The Coat of Arms has connections with the Arms of two families from the area, Stewart of Darnley and Lennox, the family to which the Stewarts of Arthurlie belonged and Pollok of Pollok who once owned lands around Barrhead. The Arms follow closely the device on the burgh seal adopted in 1894 when Barrhead elected its first town Council.

The first and fourth show three blue fleurs-de-lis, a kind of lily on a gold saltire within a silver border on a green background. The green field and gold saltire of Pollok of Pollok have been used to show the family once owned lands around Barrhead. The second and third quarters show red hearts with silver crosses on a gold background, around which is a red border which has fountain symbols to denote that Barrhead was famous for casting baths and water fittings. 

A red rose from the Arms of the Lennox family appears in the centre and two wolves of Stewart and Lennox, coloured black support the shield. A crown in the form of a wall indicates that Barrhead had burgh status. The Latin Motto – “VIRTUTE ET LABORE” – by virtue and by industry was the promise made by the first town Council in 1894.

Heraldic Coat of Arms

The image shows an earlier version of the Coat of Arms, before it was redesigned. Legend has it that this coat of arms features lions and the new one has wolves because the designer was unable to draw lions! He therefore produced a pair of rather serious looking wolves. 

The Coat of Arms has connections with the Arms of two families from the area, Stewart of Darnley and Lennox, the family to which the Stewarts of Arthurlie belonged and Pollok of Pollok who once owned lands around Barrhead. The Arms follow closely the device on the burgh seal adopted in 1894 when Barrhead elected its first town Council.

The first and fourth show three blue fleurs-de-lis, a kind of lily on a gold saltire within a silver border on a green background. The green field and gold saltire of Pollok of Pollok have been used to show the family once owned lands around Barrhead. The second and third quarters show red hearts with silver crosses on a gold background, around which is a red border which has fountain symbols to denote that Barrhead was famous for casting baths and water fittings. 

A red rose from the Arms of the Lennox family appears in the centre and two wolves of Stewart and Lennox, coloured black support the shield. A crown in the form of a wall indicates that Barrhead had burgh status. The Latin Motto – “VIRTUTE ET LABORE” – by virtue and by industry was the promise made by the first town Council in 1894.

Heraldic Coat of Arms

Old Coat of Arms

The image shows an earlier version of the Coat of Arms, before it was redesigned. Legend has it that this coat of arms features lions and the new one has wolves because the designer was unable to draw lions! He therefore produced a pair of rather serious looking wolves.